In this revised translation and retrieval of the full text of the revised German edition, Schweitzer describes and critiques eighteenth and nineteenth century attempts at retrieving the "Jesus of history" and stands at the crossroads of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries to bring closure to the former, and to open the latter for New Testament scholarship. Schweitzer saw the problems of historiography, theology, and politics in the ways the issues were formulated — and the answers proposed — and refocused attention on Jesus' "eschatology" in a way abandoned by his predecessors. Issues of the messianic secret, the nature of the kingdom of God, and Jesus' mission are addressed.
Because of the new invigorated study of Jesus in his first-century context, informed readers will desire Schweitzer as a reference point for the mistakes of the past and the possibilitites of new directions.
Given the amount currently being published about the historical Jesus — as witnessed by the consistent stream of reviews and review articles in RRT — it is highly appropriate that a more accurate English rendition of this classic text is now easily available."
— Reviews in Religion and Theology 8 (2001)
Foreword to the Complete Edition
Preface to the First Edition
Preface to the Second Edition
Preface to the Sixth Edition
The Quest of the Historical Jesus
- The Problem
- Hermann Samuel Reimarus
- The Lives of Jesus of Earlier Rationalism
- The Earliest Imaginative Lives of Jesus
- Fully Developed Rationalism — Paulus
- The Last Phase of Rationalism — Hase and Schleiermacher
- David Friedrich Strauss — The Man and his Fate
- Strauss's First 'Life of Jesus'
- Strauss's Opponents and Supporters
- The Markan Hypothesis
- Bruno Bauer
- Futher Imaginative Lives of Jesus
- The 'Liberal' Lives of Jesus
- The Eschatological Question
- Against Eschatology
- Aramaic, Rabbinic, Buddhist
- The Quest of the Historical Jesus at the End of the Nineteenth Century
- The Criticism of the Modern Historical View by Wrede and Thoroughgoing Eschatology
- Descrption and Criticism of Wrede's Hypothesis
- The Solution of Thoroughgoing Eschatology
- The Most Recent Disputing of the Historicity of Jesus
- The Debate about the Historicity of Jesus
- 1907 to 1912
Index of Names